We're all watching the National Day Parade (NDP) from home this year.
But what if you miss the adrenaline of seeing the contingents and military assets live at the Padang; the excitement of singing along to familiar NDP songs; the feeling of home as you stand shoulder to shoulder with your fellow Singaporeans when Majulah Singapura is played?
Here are a few tips on how you can recreate the live NDP experience, from the comfort of your own living room!
Before 9 Aug:
- Pick up your Singapore Together Pack from a Community Centre/Club (from 20 Jul to 2 Aug) or Residents' Committee Centre (from 20 to 26 Jul) from 10am to 6pm (excluding public holidays). Remember to bring your NRIC for verification!
- Display the State Flag outside your house. If you don't already have the State Flag, you can ask for one at the collection centre.
On the morning of 9 Aug:
- Put on your favourite red-and-white outfit.
- Apply the NDP Face Tattoo on each other.
- Turn on the TV and watch the Prime Minister's National Day message.
- For the authentic outdoor grandstand experience, turn off your airconditioning and fan, and squeeze close to your family members on the sofa (but only the ones from your household!). Wait for someone to say: "Wah, very hot!"
- Continue watching the parade at the Padang on screen. Stand together and sing the National Anthem during the nationwide Anthem Moment which will start at 10.30am. Majulah Singapura!
- Look out your window to catch the State Flag and F15SGs flying overhead across your neighbourhood. Remember to say "Hi!" by waving your Handheld Flag as they fly past!
On the afternoon of 9 Aug:
- Check to see if the Mobile Column is coming to your neighbourhood. More details out soon!
- If you're heading out, attach the Iron-on Flag onto your Face Mask, and put it on before leaving the house.
- Don't forget to bring your Hand Sanitiser with you. In fact, why not use the Tote Bag that the Singapore Together Pack came in as a trendy carrier for your belongings?
On the evening of 9 Aug
- Tune in to the NDP Show live from The Star Performing Arts Centre.
- Miss waving light sticks at the parade? Stick the Red Filter sticker onto your handphone's torch and wave your coloured torch during the special lightup moment. Don't wanna do it alone? Then do it by your window and watch the rest of the neighbourhood turn into a joyous sea of red.
- Pass around the Snack and Canned Drink.
- Sing along to the NDP songs on TV. Loudly. Wait for someone to say: "Wah, very out of tune!"
- Stand together with Singaporeans everywhere to say the pledge during the Pledge-taking Moment.
- Wave the handheld flag again while watching the fireworks. Majulah Singapura!