The SAF Academic Scholarship is designed to help existing in-service personnel upgrade their skills and credentials.
There are two versions of the scholarship. Applicants who receive the the SAF Academic Scholarship (Military) will be equipped with a military-based tertiary education at academies in countries like the United States, Australia and France. Those who receive the SAF Academic Scholarship (Open/Local) will get a full sponsorship of their academic studies at overseas/local universities.
WHAT IT COVERS
- Monthly salary for the duration of studies
- Full tuition fees and other approved academic charges
- Book and computer allowance
- Clothing allowance (Military only)
- Return airfare (Military and overseas only)
- Singapore citizens or permanent residents intending to take up citizenship
- GCE A Level (with minimum 10 academic units), International Baccalaureate, Polytechnic Diploma (with Merit) or equivalent
- Good co-curricular activities (CCA) record
- Strong leadership qualities
- Qualify for and excel in Officer Cadet School
- Possess a strong interest in a military career
ACCEPTED COURSES OF STUDY
You may choose any of the following disciplines:
- Arts / Social Sciences
- Computer Science
- International Relations
- Life Sciences
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Political Science
- Science / Natural Sciences
Things to note:
*If you intend to pursue a degree in Law, do note that you will not be called to the Bar while serving in the SAF.
If you are pursuing a professional course, you are not eligible.
(Dentistry, Medicine, Architecture etc.)
If you are pursuing a Master's degree, you must complete your studies within 4 years.
If you already have started your course in university, you may still apply for the Mid-Term SAF Academic Scholarship (SAS). If your application is successful, you will receive a backdated portion of the monthly allowance and fee sponsorship that you missed out on earlier.
IS THERE A BOND?
The bond will be for 6 years, and will commence immediately upon graduation and return to service.