1. What is the Enhanced Officer Scheme (EOS)?

The EOS is a new scheme for Officers designed to be an updated improvement of the SAVER scheme. Enhancements include:

  • Extension of the retirement age to 50
  • Introduction of Post-Retirement Medical Insurance (PRMI)
  • Enhancement of FLEX quantum
  • Retention bonuses past age 45
  • Sabbatical scheme
  • Senior LTC
  • Enhancement of Continuing Education (CE) policy
2. What is the current retirement age for Officers?

Under the new EOS, all Officers will be able to serve up to the age of 50.

3. How many days of leave are officers entitled to?

As an Officer, you are entitled to 18 days of leave, which increases to a maximum of 21 days as you progress through your career.

1. What are the three tours of duties?

They are the Command, Instructional and Staff tours.

2. Do scholarships determine my career progression after my studies?

No. All officers, regardless of scholarship type, receive equal opportunities after their studies. Career progression is governed by performance – the better your performance, the quicker you advance up the ladder.

3. With the extension of the retirement age, will getting promoted take longer?

The promotion criteria, subjected to similar performance and CEP criteria, will remain the same. Whether an officer gets promoted depends on the manning, availability of estab and performance. Therefore, how the norms evolve depends on the overall job re-structuring that the SAF is studying and the number of people staying till 50.
However, for good performers and officers of high potential, the pace of progression will continue to remain the same.

1. What are the kinds of scholarships and awards offered by Our Army?
  • The SAF Scholarship
  • SAF Merit Scholarship
  • SAF Academic Scholarship (SAS)
  • SAF Academic Award (SAA)
  • Part-Time Study Sponsorship (Degree)
  • SAF Postgraduate Award (Masters/PhD)
  • SAF Medicine Scholarship
  • Local Dentistry Scholarship
  • Mid-Term SMS/SAS/SAA
2. Do I need to perform Vacation Attachments (VA)?

Yes. As far as possible, we strongly encourage our servicemen to return for VA to keep themselves abreast of the organisation's initiatives and changes. However, the servicemen may seek approval from HRSC to defer if they are required to fulfil certain coursework requirements such as during the final year project. Each year, servicemen can return for VA during the summer break.

3. Will I be paid during my VA under SAA?

Yes. You will be accorded full regular pay during your VA.

4. I applied for the SAS. Why do I need to attend the SAA board?

Clearing the SAA board is a prerequisite for the SAS. Your suitability for the SAS will be stipulated by the SAA Board members.

5. Who should I approach if I'm interested in applying for The SAF Scholarship/SAF Merit Scholarship?

You may apply online at or at Mindef Scholarship Centre (MSC).

6. Can I do a Double Degree / Master’s or do I need to seek approval?

You may be considered for Master’s and Double Degree programmes if you are able to complete the programme together with the first degree within the prescribed time stated in your study deeds. ‘Prescribed time’ refers to the period the university deems necessary for you to complete the first basic degree, after taking into account your academic standing and any relevant exemptions that may apply prior to your admission. Based on this, you will not be allowed to pursue a Master’s programme immediately after your first degree even if MINDEF had earlier agreed to sponsor you for a 3-year Direct Honours programme and you can complete your Master’s within the 4th year. However, those currently sponsored on a 4-year first degree programme could do a Direct Master’s if you are able to finish this together with your first degree within the 4 years. You can seek approval from HRSC if you meet the above conditions and you can only accept the offer upon obtaining the approval.

1. Will I be able to undertake a degree course after joining as an Officer?

Yes. We have the Part-Time Degree Sponsorship meant for non-graduate officers to continue their studies on a part time basis in NTU/NUS/SMU/SUSS.

2. Can I take on the Part-Time Degree Sponsorship during the 3-year Contract Scheme?

No. You are unable to do so due to the short time frame. However, you can apply for the scheme once emplaced under the Enhanced Officer Scheme (EOS).

3. When can I apply for the Part-Time Degree Sponsorship under the Enhanced Officer Scheme?

The SAF will require at least 2 years of service before you are eligible for sponsorship.

4. What is the Dual Track Career Officer (DTCO) scheme about?

The DTCO scheme provides dual tracking opportunities for you to alternate between your chosen profession (e.g. Guards), and an area of organisational specialisation (e.g. Human Resource Management, Systems Development, Intelligence, Logistics, etc). Once your specialisation is confirmed, you will be assessed, groomed and given opportunities to further your studies in local or prestigious overseas academic and military institutions, via the SAF Post-Graduate Award.

5. Are there any opportunities to undertake a Master’s Degree later in my career?

Yes. The Army provides Officers with various channels to pursue a Master’s programme. For example, we have the SAF Post-Graduate Award (SPA) and the NTU-SAF Master’s programme in Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College where you have up to 7 years to achieve your qualification.

6. Can I disrupt for studies in the next earliest academic intake?

Yes. However, final approval is still subjected to university's course availability and the SAF's deployment plans.

7. What are the Professional Military Education courses available that will allow me to gain credits towards a SUSS degree?

As of now, only credits from Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College are officially transferable for SUSS degree programmes. The extent of credit exemption varies with the choice of courses. However, the SAF-SUSS MOU is all encompassing and the SAF is currently looking at possible accreditation for other PME courses. The list of relevant PME courses will be made available at a later date.

8. When can I apply for Uni-SIM courses & what courses are relevant?

Application for SAF sponsorship (Part-Time Sponsorship Scheme for non-graduate Officers and CLASS-degree sponsorship for WOSPECs) can be submitted through PMCs. Selection of SAF personnel for sponsorship typically takes place in Feb-Mar each year. Please consult your PMCs on sponsorship eligibility, terms and conditions.
SAF personnel have to register and be accepted by SUSS based on their own merits. Registration at SUSS takes place twice a year, as there are two intakes. Registration windows open in Feb-Mar for the July intake, and in Aug-Sep for the January intake. Those interested may register online at during the registration windows.

1. With the extension of the retirement age, will I find it harder to transit to a second career?

The enhancements to the Officer Scheme taken collectively will allow our Officers to transit to their next careers confidently at any stage. These enhancements include upgrading opportunities such as the SAF-NTU CE Master’s sponsorship, more professional training and the setting up of a dedicated career transition agency, Career Transition Resource Centre (CTRC). This new CTRC set-up will be a one-stop advisory centre for CT related concerns of military servicemen. CTRC will also be looking into engaging an external agency to provide job referral services to retiring Officers. With the SAVER Scheme construct unchanged, Officers considering a career change can do so in their early to mid-40s.

2. What are the additional medical benefits for Enhanced Officers Scheme?

Officers who retire from SAF at the age of 45 and above will be provided with additional medical coverage under the Medisave-cum-Subsidised Outpatient (MSO) scheme up till age 60. This will be in addition to their Post-Retirement Medical Benefits (PRMB) and could potentially take the form of hospitalisation insurance.

3. Can I cross over to MDES after I reach SAVER End Date or age 50?

Officers with the relevant skills and qualifications can crossover to MDES at any point in their career, depending on job availability and suitability.

4. Will there be a change in IPPT standards with the career extension to age 50?

As leader of Our Army, Officers need to be physically fit to perform their roles. Therefore, the existing IPPT standards will continue to be used.

1. What are the roles of a Warrant Officer and Specialist?

Warrant Officers and Specialists provide strong leadership to the rank and file of the SAF. They form the backbone of our operational and training of ORBAT to develop key competencies in leadership and tactical warfighting skills.
As trainers and small unit leaders, they are responsible for the training, readiness, morale and discipline of our people; and work in support of and in partnership with the Officers.
At the more senior level, an experienced cadre of Sergeant Majors (SM) and Master Trainers (1WO – MWO) will play a leading role in force preparation and ensuring sub-unit readiness.
We envision a core of experienced and highly educated SWOs and CWOs who will be the role models for the Corps and hold pinnacle appointments as Service SMs and Division SMs.

2. Why did Our Army introduce a 3WO rank?

By introducing a new 3WO rank, promising Specialists will be able to attain warrant officership as early as the 7th year in service. Individuals with great potential will be recognised and the award of 3WO should serve as an acknowledgment of ability and be a catalyst for further advancement in Our Army towards greater responsibility. 3WO and above will be eligible for CARE contributions.

3. Why is the retirement age at 55?

The Warrant Officers form the backbone of the SAF and maintaining the retirement age at 55 provides enough time for Warrant Officers to develop into subject matter experts of training and tactical war-fighting. Given the physical demands of the Warrant Officer role, it is unfortunately not possible to extend the retirement age to any later than 55.

1. Will my education level affect my chances for promotion?

Promotion in the Army is based on meritocracy and therefore your performance will be crucial. Academic qualification is not the only criterion assessed for promotion.

2. Is the MSG rank the pinnacle rank of the Specialist?

The pinnacle rank achievable by a Specialist is MSG. However, if a Specialist is assessed to have potential to be a Warrant Officer, he will be promoted to 3WO in due course.

1. As a SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship holder, can I defer my enlistment and go for my further education for an Advance Diploma/Degree?

No. As part of the deed that is signed under the SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship, one of the terms is that the award holder must come back to serve in uniform for a bond of 4 years upon completion of his Diploma studies.

2. As a SAF-ITE Sponsorship holder, can I defer my enlistment and go for my further education for a Higher NITEC/Diploma?

It will depend on the age of your completion of studies from your prescribed course, and prior approval is required from the NS Registration and Enlistment Centre (NSREC) for deferment from BMT.

3. What does the SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship cover?

It sponsors selected 3-year courses in the 5 main polytechnics in Singapore. (Please check with us to see if your preferred choice of study corresponds with SAF's recommended list.) All tuition and compulsory fees will be paid by SAF. You will receive a monthly allowance during your study period.

4. What does the SAF-ITE Sponsorship Cover?

It sponsors single year courses (only applicable to certain course e.g. Service skill etc.) or 2-year full-time NITEC courses. All tuition and compulsory fees will be paid by the SAF. You will receive a monthly allowance during your study period.

5. Do I have to enrol into a particular course for SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship or the SAF-ITE Sponsorship?

It depends on the vocation that you apply for;
Full-time Diploma courses from the 5 main polytechnics.
All full-time NITEC courses from ITE colleges.
Relevant full-time NITEC courses from ITE colleges.
Supply & Transport:
Full-time Diploma courses from the 5 main polytechnics.
Relevant full-time NITEC in Service Skill or Logistic etc. from ITE colleges.

6. Does the SAF help me with my enrolment into a Polytechnic / ITE College after I have applied for the SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship / SAF-ITE Sponsorship?

No. You will have to secure a place in one of the 5 main Polytechnics or an ITE College on your own merit to be eligible for the Sponsorship Scheme.

7. Is there any surety required for the Sponsorship?

Yes, during the contract signing, you will be required to put forward two people who will undertake the obligations to stand as sureties for the deeds signing in order to claim the monetary rewards offered.

8. Do I have to work for the Army during my vacations if I’m still studying?

No, but we will invite you for tea sessions to keep you updated on the happenings in Our Army.

9. What if I fail my course?

You will repeat the semester at your own expense. (Provided you do not fail too badly, e.g. fail 1 module) However, if you fail or abandon the course, you will pay the Liquidated Damages, plus a compounded interest of 10% per annum.

10. Is my study period in the Polytechnics / ITE included in the bond period?

No, the bond commences on the first day upon enlistment.

11. Am I allowed to switch courses during my studies?

No, you will be unable to do so.

12. How many rounds of interviews should I expect to attend?

A total of 2 rounds of interviews, comprising 1 Preliminary interview and 1 interview by the Vocation Advisory Authority.

1. Is there any age limit to join the Army?

No. We welcome all applications as long as you're qualified, committed and capable.

2. I have a criminal record, can I join the Army?

Yes. However, you will be put through necessary screenings to validate your suitability.

3. What are the minimum qualifications I need to join the Army as a Specialist?

3 O-Levels for Combatant, 3 N-Levels for Combat Service Support, 1 N-Level for CDO.

4. What are the requirements to join the Commandos?

Pre-Enlistees: 1 'N' level, good eyesight.
In-Service Personnel & Mid-Streamers: Pass the Joint Special Forces Selection (2 weeks) and the interview before you are confirmed as Commandos trained.

5. I want to apply for Special Operation Force (SOF), what are the requirements?

All interested applicants will have to pass the Joint Special Forces Selection and JSF course. The JSF course will span for approximately 10 months before the trainees graduate as a Commandos (SOF) Regular.

6. I was summarily tried for insubordination as a NSF; will it affect my application to become a Regular?

No. If you are sufficiently penitent following the punishment meted out, the Army will not hold it against you and deem it as a learning point for your personal upgrading.

7. Will existing tattoos affect my application? Am I allowed to have tattoos if I sign on in the Army?

No. Tattoos are not deemed critical to your performance and capability. However, you will have to declare them during your application.

8. Is NAPFA a criterion for absorption as a pre-enlistee?

Yes. You will have to achieve a minimum of Silver.

1. I currently only have an O-Level qualification, will I be able to study for a Diploma if I signed on during my BMT?

The earliest possible time that you can disrupt for studies is based on the study award you receive. If it is a in-service SAF-Polytechnic Sponsorship, you can disrupt for studies in the next academic year. If it is the CLASS award, you will only be eligible to apply for it during your 6th year of service.

2. I am currently a Diploma holder. Will I be allowed to pursue my Degree studies & will the SAF support me?

Yes. You can go for your Degree studies under the CLASS award.

3. Will there be any changes to upgrading opportunities?

The CLASS Degree sponsorship framework will be reviewed. Early degree sponsorships to Diploma holders with good results will also be provided so that they can leave for their studies as early as their peers in NS.

4. Will there be pay adjustment for graduate WOSpec?

Today, upon obtaining a degree, WOSpecs will be given an increment. Together with the review of the CLASS Degree sponsorship framework, we will also review the form of recognition for graduate WOSpec.

5. What is the career prospect of a Specialist with a Degree? Will I be able to cross over to the Enhanced Officer Scheme, or are there any provisions for me to be promoted faster?

The CLASS Degree sponsorship was introduced in 2007 to allow deserving WOSpecs to pursue their degree aspirations on a full-time or part-time basis. We expect our graduate WOSpecs to make valuable contributions on their return to Our Army. If they perform well on the job, they will be rewarded via the Performance Bonus system. Promotion to higher ranks will still be based on demonstrated performance and the ability to handle bigger responsibilities. If a graduate WOSpec demonstrates poor performance, then he would not be deserving of a good performance grading. Cross-over to the Enhanced Officers Scheme is subject to a set of pre-requisite criteria and is not tied to a degree qualification.

1. I applied for a position in the Army, but have also signed up for the Navy and Air Force. Am I allowed to sign provisional contracts if they come before the Army Career Talk?

Yes. When we let you sign the provisional contracts, we will also ask you to indicate your preference with us.

2. What happens if I decide to leave before I finish my Minimum Term of Engagement (MTE)?

There are 2 methods of computing payment for not serving out the MTE. Option 1 requires longer term of service and paying a lesser amount and option 2 involves paying a larger amount and serving less time.

3. Can I break my bond?

We strongly discourage that. If you do, you will pay Liquidated Damages plus a compounded interest of 10% per annum.

1. Will I be eligible to crossover to become an Officer if I signed on as a WOSPEC?

Yes. You may do so if you subsequently find out that you are more attuned towards the roles and responsibilities of the Officers' Corps. This will be subjected to recommendations from your commanders.

2. Will I be situated in-camp for my entire career in the SAF?

No. Your requirement to stay in during your tours of duty depends largely on the unit’s requirement.

3. Do I need to travel very often as a Regular?

Travelling overseas depends on your unit’s training plan and your vocation. Usually, you would travel at least once a year for overseas training for about 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

4. Am I allowed to change vocations if I sign on?

It depends on the availability of the vocation you intend to change to and the current stage of your career. However, you are strongly discouraged from doing so.

5. Will the SAF cover me if I get injured during training?

Yes. In-service injuries will be compensated fairly and accordingly.

6. What is the post-retirement medical provision that will be introduced for WOSpecs?

The new Post-Retirement Medical Insurance (PRMI) will cover WOSpecs from the time they retire from the SAF up till the age of 60. However, this only applies to servicemen who have retired at age 50 and above. This scheme could potentially take the form of hospitalisation insurance.

A. Military Domain Expert Scheme (MDES)
1. Will MDES personnel be required to go for deployment?

Yes. MDES is a uniformed military scheme and they will be required to operate alongside their Officer and WOSpec counterparts.

2. Why isn't the MDES retirement age consistent with the National Retirement Age (NRA)?

Based on Our Army’s requirements and considerations of deployability and fitness, Military Experts can enjoy a career up to age 60.

3. Does this mean that Military Experts will be guaranteed employment till the age of 60?

As in all organisations, employment is based on performance and job suitability. Similarly, SAF will plan for careers in the MDES up to age 60. In unforeseen circumstances, for example where the organisation's requirements change or restructuring is required, similar to the Officer and WOSpecs schemes, a fair exit package will be provided to affected personnel.

1. What is the ROA for MDES? Is there a long wait for career progression given the higher retirement age?

Progression will be appropriately based on expertise and responsibility levels, rather than through the current assessments based on command and staff potential. The MDES ranks are designed to reflect the levels of expertise and responsibility required for those categories of appointments. Servicemen should expect a more deliberate pace of career progression and personal development in order to allow for deep specialisation in the specific military domain. The salary scales in each MDES grade are designed to recognise and reward higher expertise levels within the same responsibility band, as well as higher responsibility appointments for those with the demonstrated potential. Military Experts who display good performance and potential will be groomed to take on pinnacle, senior leadership positions and will progress at a faster pace.

2. Are MDES personnel subjected to the same 2 to 3 year posting tenures? How is it possible to achieve a deep specialisation if there are frequent postings to ground units and their HQ?

We expect MDES personnel to spend more time in each post so as to nurture the deep expertise required.

1. Will there be upgrading opportunities in MDES?

Yes, there will be upgrading opportunities for Military Experts (MEs). At the point of recruitment, there will be educational sponsorships to attract the right quality of people to join the MDES. Diploma holders with strong academic abilities can look forward to Degree sponsorships in the early part of their career. In-service upgrading opportunities are also available.

1. Will MDES Servicemen be offered Post-Retirement Medical Benefits (PRMB)?

MDES personnel will be on the Medisave-cum-Outpatient (MSO) medical scheme. This contributes 1% of their salary to their Medisave accounts each month, subject to a salary cap of $7,000 per month. This means a maximum monthly contribution of $70 to their Medisave account. There is also an outpatient allowance of up to $350 per year. With a retirement age of 60, Military Experts can accumulate a significant amount in their Medisave account, making PRMB redundant.

2. Will Military Experts be required to take IPPT?

Yes. Military Experts are part of the uniformed services and need to be physically fit to perform their role. The IPPT has been designed to cater to various age groups up to the age of 60 and provides a good measure of your individual physical fitness level, and gives you sufficient motivation to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

3. Are Military Experts subject to similar regimentation and discipline requirements as Officers and WOSpecs?

MDES is an uniformed military scheme and MDES servicemen will be subjected to similar regimentation and discipline requirements as Officers and WOSpecs.

1. How long does it take to process my application?
  • Once we have received your application along with the necessary supporting documents, you will be contacted to schedule a medical checkup and interview. The entire process could take up to 3 months. Complex, circumstantial cases may take longer.
  • For Direct personnel – You will be notified by post after your interview.
  • For In-Service personnel – Your unit will liaise with you upon contract signing (BMT).You will be notified by phone or SMS (SAF 224 cases).
  • Online applicants who are not short-listed will not be notified.
2. Will I be considered a Regular after signing the provisional contract? If so, will I be drawing Regular pay?

You will be considered a Regular after signing the provisional contract. However, you will only receive Regular pay upon confirmation of being satisfied with the conditions stated in the provisional contract.

3. Why can I not withdraw under the provisional contract, since I have not received confirmation nor draw a Regular’s salary?

The provisional contract is legally binding regardless of whether you receive Regular pay or not. However, your Regular service will be backdated from the day you signed the provisional contract whereas those who have not signed the provisional contract will only have their service backdated to a maximum of 10 months (Officers) and 9 months (Specialists) respectively.

4. Can I clear my NAPFA/IPPT after becoming a Regular?

No. you are required to clear your NAPFA/IPPT before joining us. Clearing NAPFA/IPPT is a prerequisite to joining Our Army.

5. How many times can I attempt my NAPFA/IPPT?

You can retry as many times as possible. We will withdraw your application if you are unable to clear your NAPFA/IPPT. You can reapply once you clear your NAPFA/IPPT.

6. If I fail any station of NAPFA/IPPT, can I just retake the failed stations?

You have to retake all the stations at one go within 1 day, even though you have failed only 1 station.

7. Who can I contact for a follow up consultation?

Please dial our hotline at 1800-OUR-ARMY.

8. What are the documents I need to bring for applications?

Depending on what you're applying for, generally, you will require:

  • Photocopies of you & your family members’ NRIC or Birth Certificate
  • Photocopies of your GCE O-Level Certificates
  • Photocopies of your GCE A-Level Certificates (with 2nd Language Results) or Diploma Transcripts & Certificate
  • Photocopies of your ITE and/or Diploma certificate and academic transcript.
  • Photocopies of your University Transcripts (All semesters) (If any)
  • Photocopies of your University Acceptance Letter (If any)
  • Certificate of Service (If any)
9. When can I start receiving my Regular salary after signing the provisional contract?

Upon confirmation of the activation of your actual service contract, you can expect to receive your Regular pay the following month. If not, please contact SAF Salary Services Centre at 63731429/30/32 to enquire.

10. If I fail my NAPFA/IPPT, where and how can I go about retaking it?

Pre-enlistees may attempt the NAPFA at Toa Payoh Stadium. Applicants can book the test at and inform the POC in ARC
Males: Every Wednesday
Females: 3rd Wednesday of every month (NB: scheduled according to the number of people required to take per bi-annual intake)
In-service personnel can approach their unit commanders to re-take the IPPT.

11. As a NSF, how do I apply to sign on if I'm interested?

You will need to apply through your Unit Manpower Officer/ Administration Officer/ Chief Clerk by submitting the SAF 224 (Application form for absorption into regular service) via your unit to ARC.

12. As an NSman, how can I apply for an Army Career?

You can either approach our front desk counter at Army Recruitment Centre (ARC) or apply online here

13. How do I enquire about the status of my application?

You may direct your enquiries to our hotline at 1800-OUR-ARMY (1800-687-2769).

14. When is the latest I can withdraw my application?

You can withdraw the application any time before signing the contract.

1. What are the criteria for being a surety?
  • Singapore Citizen permanently residing in Singapore
  • Above 21 and not more than 60 years of age/and financially able to bear at least 30% of the liability undertaken
  • Gainfully employed
  • Not an existing party to another Scholarship/Training Award/ Bursary/Study Loan Agreement
  • Not bonded for an existing Scholarship/Training Award/Bursary/Study Loan Agreement
  • Not bankrupt
2. Is having a surety mandatory?

For Awards and Bounties, a surety is required.
For combatant bonuses, those above the age of 21 do not require a surety while those under 21 do.

3. Can my surety be self-employed? Is there a deadline to sign the backdated deed for in-service personnel?

Yes, but proofs of their income tax assessments must be furnished. You are advised to get a surety to sign the backdated deeds as soon as possible as you will not receive your salary otherwise.

4. Can my surety come down to sign the deed on weekends?

No, appointments can only be made on weekdays during office hours. The working operating hours for Army Recruitment Centre are 8.00 am to 5.30 pm, Monday to Friday. We are not open on Sat/Sun, public holidays and Army event days. Do make sure you call 1800-OUR-ARMY prior to coming down.

5. If I cannot find a surety, can I forgo my sign-on bounty?

You are strongly advised to take the sign-on bounty by finding a suitable surety. However, if circumstances compel otherwise, a memorandum of understanding needs to be signed acknowledging your forfeit of the bounty.