Second in prestige only to the President's Scholarship, the SAF Overseas Scholarship (SAFOS) is for those who see the honour in service and duty - the noble purpose of being there where it matters most. It provides excellent opportunities for personal and professional growth, as well as grooming for the highest levels of command and management.
The SAFOS offers scholars opportunities to be involved in operations that directly contribute to the peace and security of Singapore. Through a series of command and staff appointments, scholars will not only hone their skills as a leader, but also as a manager, a planner and a strategist.
- Singapore citizens or permanent residents intending to take up citizenship
- GCE 'A' Level (with minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate, Polytechnic Diploma (with Merit) or equivalent
- Good co-curricular activities (CCA) records
- Strong leadership qualities
- Qualify for and excel in Officer Cadet School
- Possess a strong interest in a military career
- All MINDEF/SAF scholarships are open for application to both genders
- Full salary for the duration of overseas studies (including bonuses)
- Full tuition fees and other approved academic charges
- Maintenance and other allowances, e.g. books, clothing, computer
- Return airfare
- Possibility of sponsorship for exchange programmes and Master's degree
- Arts / Social Science
- Computer Science
- International Relations
- Life Sciences
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Political Science
- Science / Natural Sciences
You can choose to pursue your studies in any of the following disciplines:
*Applicants intending to pursue a degree in law should note that they will not be called to the Bar while serving in the SAF.
If you are pursuing your Master's degree, you must complete your studies in 4 years.
You can choose your course of study with the exception of professional courses such as architecture, medicine, dentistry, etc.
Our scholars typically go to top and renowned universities in the UK or USA.
United States of America
Carnegie Mellon University
Johns Hopkins University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of California, Berkeley
University of Chicago
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Imperial College, London
London School of Economics
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
University College London
Note:The above lists are not exhaustive. You may also apply if the universities you're interested in are not listed, but applications are subject to approval.